Thursday, July 3, 2014

Glasslip Episode 01: Fireworks

LET’S START WITH THE FIRST POST OF THIS BLOG!

Now, the first anime I’m interested in is Glasslip. On my opinion, PA Works did a good job with drama/romantic animes such as True Tears, Angel Beats or Nagi No Asukara and I put so much faith on Glasslip because Nagi-Asu really captivated me. With that being said, let’s get started with the first episode.

Glasslip starts introducing us the six main protagonists. As they are introduced, the town seems to be in the middle of the Summer Festival and Kakeru just arrives into it.









Voice, get out of my head!

Cute Girl Searcher Activated!

Cute girl targeted!
This is the beginning of a love story

Love story becomes a love triangle
Love triangle becomes a love square

Love square becomes a love pentagon

Love pentagon becomes a love hexagon

I'm really interested on how glass making will contribute to the story

Oh, I studied this author on French Literature
Oh, and the David from Michelangelo as well
And all damn chickens are named after a philosopher, wtf! Is this a school review?
Dem jealousy
Who the f*ck falls asleep in this position?!
And of course! What is anime without a loli?
SURPRISE MOTHERF..
The way she looks at Kakeru... This closes the hexagon
FIGHT FOR THE CHICK!

NOW STAB HER FROM THE BACK!
Now seriously, these two have a connection from the past 


As we expected, Glasslip will have a complicated love story between the six protagonists. Kakeru and Yuki are clearly interested in Touko, Hiro is in love with Sachi. Sachi as a quiet character, I can tell she likes Yuki just for the fact that she stares at him. When it comes to Yanagi, she clearly likes Yuki, but she knows he likes Touko so I expect her to fall in love with Kakeru to forget her feeling towards Yuki. But as I said, Kakeru is interested on Touko as well (they are the main couple), so I predict the main conflict to be between them, Yanagi and Yuki.

Leaving the love aspect aside, there are artistic and cultural references such as glass making, drawing, Camus, the David (which I found hilarious) and some philosophers. As an art student, I really liked this aspect of the episode and I hope to see more in the future.

On the other hand, I can’t help comparing Glasslip to Nagi-Asu. A part from being both animated by PA Works, these two are similar when it comes to the friendship aspect and the fact that both stories happen on similar port villages.

I’ve mentioned before that I’m interested on how the glass making will contribute to the story. Since the anime is called Glasslip, I can tell that glass making will be important on the series and according to the plot, “Her dream is to become a glass artisan”. Watching the Opening, they are two glass accessories which I'm sure will be important on a symbolic and sentimental way. 



Finally, there is another symbolic element to point out, the chickens. Every chicken represents one of the protagonists noticing every one of them will take care of one. But since they are six protagonists and there’s only five chickens, I thought it would be a sixth one, but then, I watched the Ending and rewatched the Opening more deeply. Both Opening and Ending showcase the five chickens with what seems to be an eagle type of bird. That one represents Kakeru as he is from outside the village. I can’t wait to find out the meaning on these, I guess we will have to wait for the upcoming episodes. 








No comments:

Post a Comment